At the crossroads of water, land, time, and life
Falls of the Ohio Crossroads Campaign for New Exhibits
Entry Walkway Concept
In 2006, we set out on an adventurous capital campaign to re-energize the compelling story that has been told and retold for generations at the Falls. Our two-phase campaign goal has grown to $9.5 million to achieve the full vision of the exhibit design task force. The first-phase campaign goal of $6.5 million allows us to redesign and replace the 18-year-old exhibits at the Falls of the Ohio State Park Interpretive Center, and establish a $1 million endowment. The second-phase campaign goal of $3 million will allow for the building expansion, with a new temporary exhibit gallery / community room.
In creating new exhibits, our goal is as ambitious as it is essential to preserving the long-term well-being of the Falls, a vital cultural and natural resource for our community. To date, we have
raised more than $3 million—for the new exhibits. Now we’re turning to generous people like you to help us keep the momentum going.
New Rotunda Design
Our New Rotunda-Lobby Exhibit Completed August 2011
(Link to our Facebook Lobby Exhibit Photo Album)
The new exhibit design will replace current exhibits with state-of-the-art immersive experiences emphasizing four key themes of the region’s scientific, cultural, and natural history, and strengthen the connection between the Interpretive Center and the outside fossil beds. The four themes are:
An Ancient Sea A Changing Land Converging Cultures The Falls Today
An Ancient Sea Concept Drawings
All of us have been drawn here to this crossroads where geography, science, ecology, history, and culture cross paths. We need your financial support to help frame the story of our heritage, the environment, and our shared future at the Falls. This is a story for all of Southern Indiana, the Greater Louisville region, and the world. So whether your gift is large or small, please join us. Together, we can unite community support and collective vision…at The Falls.
Ways to participate in the
Make a one-time contribution to the campaign with cash, check, or credit card charge
•Extend the timeframe and amount of your contribution by pledging your gift over a two or three year period
• Leverage your contribution by accessing employer-provided match dollars (if available)
• Give a gift of appreciated stock or securities (per our Gift Acceptance Policy)
• Double the impact of your gift—make a cash or pledge gift to the campaign now, and include The Falls of the Ohio Foundation in your estate plan so future exhibit and program enhancements may also benefit from your generosity.
A Changing Land Concept Drawings Converging Cultures
We are so appreciative of our donor partners in this project and we want to recognize your generosity. The following are naming opportunities and recognition levels that exist in the Crossroads Campaign:
$500,000 — Major Film Sponsor
$150,000 — Rotunda Sponsor
$100,000 — River Room Sponsor
$75,000 — Classroom Sponsor
$50,000 — Outdoor Interpretation Area Sponsor
$50,000 — Wildlife Viewing Room Sponsor
$25,000 — Co-sponsor of one of four Themed Exhibits
Converging Cultures Concept Drawings The Falls Today
Levels of recognition and giving
• All donors who participate in the Crossroads Campaign at the $10,000 level or above will also be recognized on signage displayed prominently in the Interpretive Center.
• All donors at all levels will be recognized on the Falls of the Ohio State
Discoverer $5,000 — $9,999
Adventurer $1,000 — $4,999
Voyager $500 — $999
Navigator Up to — $499
Crossroad Campaign Donors
Add your name to list list and help us complete this project
Concept Development — Completed 2009
Project Design — Completed 2011
Fabrication — 2014
Installation and Grand Re-opening Goal — Spring 2015
The completion of the Crossroads Campaign, and the installation of new exhibits at the Falls of the Ohio Interpretive Center will:
• Highlight Southern Indiana and the Louisville region as a world-renowned academic destination for geologists, ecologists, historians, archaeologists, and others who study the fossil beds and their interpretation.
• Promote the Falls of the Ohio as a sought-after tourist destination for everyone to experience the best exposed Devonian fossil beds in the world.
• Enhance the educational opportunities available to school children by imparting a story rich in science and history in a medium that compliments today’s learning styles.
• Contribute to the “quality of life” and economic development of the region by supporting the local and regional hospitality market.
• Encourage users to embrace a healthy lifestyle by offering safe, interesting options for recreation and fitness.
More Information About Our Exhibit Design Firm, Solid Light, Inc.
North Harrison fourth graders investigate the new lobby sculptures.
Created January 20, 2010, Updated January 8, 2014